Thursday, June 14, 2007

Worksite Day 4

Today was a busy day as I spent all of it installing floor beams and support blocks for a home in it's early stages. Hammering in the summer sun while James Brown is cranked on the stereo makes me feel like a kid again. I am really getting the hang of the construction life as each day gets more gratifying. I didn't get to take too many pics b/c of my workload but the few I did you can check out here. A few of these pics were taken by other members of my group, but thought they were so cool you all had to see them. One of my new friends, Roya, also shot some video footage of me working away. Hope you enjoy it!



Tonight the group will be having dinner on a Mississippi River Steamboat Cruise. I'll try to take pics if I can for tomorrow's post. In other news two members of my group did a radio interview for 90.7 WWOZ, a killer blues/jazz station here in town. We usually listen to WWOZ when eat breakfast on the balcony.

That about sums up today. I will now leave you all with a blog post that I just wrote for the Berklee page. It basically sums up my feelings of being here. Miss you all!

---

Picture this…200 workers of all ages, from all over the country working in 95 degrees of pure humidity for absolutely no compensation. There are no egos, no slackers, everyone is friendly, equally contributing to the task at hand and enjoying learning about one another. ABC News in New Orleans came today to shoot footage of this reality. It’s hard to believe amongst all of the negativity in our media that this environment really exists but believe me when I say it does. I have been cut, bruised, had fiber glass in my eye, even felt like passing out at times and I am loving every minute of it. I am beyond blessed to be here and can not believe tomorrow is our last day. I will miss the love here but hope to spread it on to all of you. Take care of one another for me.

My best always,

Matt

3 comments:

David & Susan said...

We actually missed seeing your blog yesterday after checking numberous times. Your pictures are great and we even watched the movie of you working. Way to go! You look terrific and your seem to fit in perfectly. We are super proud of you and all your co-workers. Send our best to them too.
Love you, Mom & David

Dan said...

really enjoying your blog, and I'm impressed with the houses you guys are building. looks like a great week doing great work for deserving musicians. Safe travels!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.