Monday, June 11, 2007

Worksite Day 1

My cable is out now...seems a thunderstorm is heading this way. So instead of watching ESPN I'm listening to "Louisiana Bayou" by Dave Matthews Band and writing to you all. Seems fitting.

I didn't sleep too well last night...wasn't sure if it was the noise of Bourbon Street or just plain old nerves. I woke up at 6am today to shower, grab some breakfast and hit the road for the work site. It was about a 15 minute drive and we were taken to a whole new world. I had finally witnessed in person everything I had seen on tv, in documentaries and on the Imax movie. While nothing can fully prepare you for what I witnessed today I am really glad I did my homework.

Here is a satellite view of where I worked today. I believe it's the open field where the houses are going. This map is a little outdated. Click on "Satellite" to see the actual view.

When we arrived we were greeted by about 200-300 other volunteers. Both kids and adults from all over the country were there to help. It was astounding. Yet I don't see enough of this in the news. Apparently Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton are more important. Today I realized that there are a lot of good people still out there.

The temp was 90-95 and it was humid. The workload wouldn't be half as intense if it wasn't for the sun. It is hot here for sure. Today I didn't get to build anything but did help in transporting wood, fencing and also repaired a few saw horses so I did get to hammer a little. Hopefully before I leave I'll get to do some construction. I was also able to chat with some local sewer workers who told me some crazy stories about crocodiles being carried miles and miles inland during the hurricane. Amazing, amazing stories. I also heard some of their frustration first hand on the local and national government's lack of response during that time. At the end of the day they dedicated a house to a local drummer and put up the front wall of the house. He and his wife seemed beyond appreciative. Fox news in New Orleans was there to cover it.

After that we started walking to a main street to get a cab. We ended up at a Baptist Church to rest. At this point I practically passed out on the front steps, I was beyond exhausted. Now for some reason we couldn't get in touch with our cab company so one of my group members asked a cop at the Police Station across the street about a way to get back to the French Quarter where we are staying. He had a pickup truck and said he would drive us. So here I am, about to pass out, now in the back of a cop's pickup truck. Yes this is completely illegal, but again only in the south my friends. I must admit it was a fun ride, except for the 15 minute wait at the train tracks with the sun baking on me. Some cargo train was moving at about 3 mph for some reason. On the ride back I saw a lot more of the city that was effected. Unreal.

Went back to the hotel, showered, swam in the pool and now about to grab some grub. As you could imagine I am starving.

Here are pics by the way documenting my day. I'm looking into getting some vids up here too.

Have a good night...miss you all (especially you "The Mrs.")

5 comments:

Dan said...

I'm enjoying your blog and pix, Matt. The heat sounds intense. I assume exotic dancers from Bourbon Street are handing out bottled water.

Keep up the good work - Dan

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hi Matt,

We miss you at Berkleemusic!

It seems like you are really enjoying and indulging in your experience. I can't wait to keep reading and seeing all the pictures you're taking. Who gave you this great blog idea?

Keep up the good work and the motivation level. We're proud of you here at work. Speaking of work..I'm here, and should get back to it.

(Hang in there Kelli- it must be lonely without the Mr.!!!)

-Kristen

Anonymous said...

Those new houses look awesome. I'm sure folks will love moving into them. I don't know how you find the time and energy to blog, but we love the updates here in Boston.

-Kristjan

Anonymous said...

Yo! Wow, can you take one of the crocodiles home with you? Ha ha!
Sounds like you're doing some good down there. We're proud of you!