Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Worksite Day 2

Relaxing now, having some Shiraz/Cabernet in my hotel room as I log my second day's work. Now before I begin there was one thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that I wanted to share with "y'all." During the Habitat start of day meeting at the work site one of the leader's was giving a speech on safety. He said "There is a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I was stupid (as he holds up his 4.5 fingers on his right hand.)" Sorry I don't have a pic to post but thought that was a genius of a lesson. Lesson learned.

Today was MUCH more tolerable than yesterday. I'm not sure if the weather was milder, just knowing what to expect or the fact that most of my day was spent working underneath a nearly completed home away from the sun. Today I fixed some insulation that was improperly installed, preventing a huge fire hazard. After all these people lost their homes to a hurricane and massive flooding, I'm sure they don't want to lose their new one to a fire. For lunch we went to a now four month resident of a Musician's Village's home that Habitat built. His name is Ricardo Crespo and he is from south Brazil. He performed a concert on his porch and was such a cool spirit. Someone asked if he played the blues and his response was "To play the blues you need a certain feeling. And I don’t feel that way now. I feel love and celebration." He then did a rendition of Bob Marley's "No Woman, No Cry." Here is a video of Ricardo telling his story this morning.



As the work day was winding down and we were putting our tools away a car drove by us, slowed down, and thanked us all for helping rebuild his neighborhood. A woman who will be receiving a Habitat home in the future was also on site today for her first day on the job. Habitat requires homeowners to log a certain amount of time on the job site. As they say "We don't offer a hand out, we offer a hand up." A few people in my group got to know her pretty well today. When we left she was hugging them and said "God Bless You." It was extremely touching to say the least. The gratitude these people have is mind blowing.

In other news there was a feature today in the New Orleans Times about the Musicians Village. Someone in my group noticed I was in the picture on the front cover. One of my coworkers here, Chris Jones, was also featured in a local Massachusetts paper which you view here. I know some of our photos have been submitted for other press releases too.

I also have more pics that I took last night and this afternoon for you to check out here. Keep the comments coming, I love reading them all.

Miss you much,
Matt

7 comments:

David & Susan said...

Glad your second day was better. Please remember your leader's words & don't be stupid.
It is wonderful the job you are all doing. Keep the newspaper where you are on the cover.
Love you, Mom & David

Anonymous said...

Awesome. :-)

It's so great to hear about something GOOD in the world that is going on.

Keep on bringing that music back to the city that needs it most.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting to read about your experience so far. Thanks for documenting and sharing it with us--looking forward to learning more.

In the meantime, best thoughts to the entire group from all of us back here at Berklee.

Steven Riggs,
Auxiliary Services

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kathy G said...

Oh Matt. I can't even tell you how moving all this is. I finally got to read all of what you said and saw all the pics you took. It feels like I'm there with you minus the heat :)

You are so inspiring, the entire group is, and I can't thank you enough for posting all of this.

You actually have me thinking about Joe and me heading down there for some work.. God speed.

Love,
Kathy

Debbie and Friends said...

Hi Matt!

We are all so glad you are doing this blog to keep us informed about this amazing journey!

The stories are incredible, as are the pictures and that video.

Stay safe and thank you for the wonderful work you are doing!

Lots of love to you and your entire Berklee team!

Debbie Cavalier

Anonymous said...

Hey. Day 2 sounded much more bearable. DEFINITELY SAFETY FIRST!
Miis ya!